Monday, June 30, 2008

W 55-59 District Time Trial Championship - June 8, 2008













Photos:
MEA on the course; the W 55-59 group (MEA on the far right); MEA crossing the finish line

I competed in Northern Califiornia/Nevada district time trial championship in Sattley in the 20k W 55-59+ category race and then 2 hours later in the 40k tandem 110+ mixed category race. Seemed like a good idea at the time . . . .

I had a start time of 8:07 for the 20k (field of 4). We spent the might in Truckee and I didn’t sleep well. I had a good warm-up on the trainer and although it was still quite chilly (still about 40 degrees), the skies were sunny and the winds light. I just never felt right from the start – my legs felt great but I had trouble breathing. I think it was a combination of the altitude and irritation from the dry cold air. It was inevitable that Laura Lindgren (she set the national record at Sattley last year in this category) would be #1, but I thought I had a good chance at placing second since I had competed against the other two women at the Beat the Clock TT on Canada two weeks earlier or at Dunlap the week before and had beaten them both by 1-2 minutes. That was not meant to be – I ever got my mojo. The three of us – Phyllis, Marsha, and I finished within 12 seconds of each other!

Results:
1. Laura Lindgren Velo Allegro 30:47.0
2. Phyllis Olrich Webcor/AV 32:31.3
3. Marsha Kirschbaum Left Coast 32:38.0
4. Mary Ellen Allen Webcor/AV 32:42.8

It was a great competition, but I am still disappointed.

No comments: