Sunday, March 22, 2009

Kenny Williams Track Camp - Day 1, March 20,2008




RFA and I signed up for a 3-day spring track camp at Hellyer Velodrome in San Jose, CA led by Kenny Williams of KW Racing out of Seattle, WA assisted by Phil "Bilko" Stephens. The camp started Friday morning at 9:30. There were about 18 participants including 5 Webcor/Alto Velo racers (RFA, MEA, Pam D., Mark R. and Larry W.). I was happy to see a good turn out for the women (MEA, Pam, Cathy M., Annabel H., and Trish). Several folks came down from Seattle along with a young guy from Portland (Gentle Lovers Racing Team). Our friend Mark McC. was also there as well as John, one of the Hellyer supervisors. People with a range of track experience and abilities. If nothing else we were sure to have a good time. I must comment on the Gentle Lovers pink and red team kit sported by the Portland racer. The team's byline is "If you can't race with the best, you may as well race with the best looking." Not sure what that was all about - but he was a very strong cyclist. Today we focused on endurance events. We did some practice standing starts - an area I need to work on. We did some 2 lap efforts - Kenny said that if I could keep that pace for a 2K I would set a world record. That made me feel good! I challenged my team mate Pam to a 2K and beat her by at a good 15 seconds. The weather was fantastic - sunny and 70 degrees.

No comments: