Saturday, July 11, 2009

NCNCA State Masters Track Championship, July 11-12, 2009






















I was so thrilled to participate in the State Masters Track Championship at Hellyer Velodrome given my recovery over the past 7 weeks. Here is a summary of my experience and results and the same for Rich.

MEA's Report:

2K Pursuit
W55-59
1st of 2

500 M TT
W55-59
2nd of 2

It was great to be back racing at the track! I was thrilled just to be able to participate only 55 days since my nasty crash at Hellyer. I resumed cycling on the road 3 weeks ago and went back to the track on June 30 for a practice session. It was frustrating that after a practice 2K pursuit I pretty much died after 5 laps. Another practice session and Beat the Clock last Sunday – each time feeling better. Like Rich, this was my first NCNCA Masters State Track Championship. I got introduced to the track last year at Beat the Clock on my road TT bike. That led to competing in Natz a couple weeks later and continuing with track workouts and racing.2K pursuit (3:06.0)Only one other competitor (Donna Woods) in my age group. At Natz last year, Donna was recovering from an injury and I beat her by 24 seconds (2:59 v. 3:23). This year I was told that she was ready to trounce. She had a decent 2K at BTC so I knew that, given my set back, it could go either way. I felt good and was able to accelerate on the last laps – I actually felt I could have pushed harder. Everyone kept saying that it was very close (and one report that she just beat me) so I was ready to accept defeat. To say the least, I was thrilled when I learned I beat her by 0.2 seconds. Still 7 seconds off of last year's time, but I am convinced that in a couple more weeks I will be back in form. This really gave me a lot of encouragement.500 MWe don't even need to discuss this. My dismal time was the same as last year – I swear I have one fast twitch fiber in each leg. Can't get the acceleration at the start and the very beginning, but then I take off when others fade – doesn't work in the 500 M. That said, it was still fun.It was a great weekend and impressive to see so many great Webcor track champions.

Rich's Report
Individual Pursuit 2K
60-65
1st of 2
Time: 2:56:27I

Individual 500 M Time Trial
60-65
3rd of 4
Time: 42.4

Team Pursuit 3K
60+
1st of 2
4:15.6
Team: Rich Allen, John Elgart, Mark Rodamaker, John Diamont

This was my first time participating in the NCNCA Masters State Track Champions ( Districts) since I started track racing last September. I had a great time racing and socializing. Warren and the volunteers did a superb job of organizing and running the event. The best part of the weekend was watching Mary Ellen race after her terrible crash at Hellyer a few weeks ago.I had been practicing 2K pursuits at the track and simulated pursuits on the rollers. At Beat the Clock last week, I did a 2:51.6 with which I was very happy leading into the Districts. My time was slower on Saturday but fast enough to win. One thing that was very different on Saturday from BtC was the wind. I started on the home stretch. When I came out of turn one, I hit the wind. When I prepared to sit down, my cadence / speed were too low (from previous practice races). Being mindful of not overcooking the first couple of laps, I held the speed and backed off a little on the second lap. I accelerated on laps 4, 5 and 6 with lap 6 being my fastest lap. I felt too good at the end.On Sunday, I did the 500 meter TT. I have been working on my sprinting but I am not a sprinter per se. However, I do like doing the 500. This year, I did the 500 in the sprint bars versus the pursuit TT bars. I like the start much better using the sprint bars and I have much better control in the turns being able to ride the black line.While my teammates in the team pursuit were racing in the points races and team sprints, I was hanging out under the tents having a nice afternoon socializing, watching the races and psyching up for the team pursuit. Our plan was for Mark and John E. to take full lap pulls with John D and me taking half lap pulls. The start went perfectly as well as the race. The nine laps seemed to go fast and it was a blast.

No comments: