Saturday, November 29, 2008

Hellyer Velodrome Track Clinic - Nov. 29, 2008







RFA and I went to the novice clinic at the Hellyer Velodrome in San Jose, CA this morning. Right now, it is the only way to get some practice on the track. Like everything else, it takes time and practice to develop and gain confidence with the basic skills. This morning's session was run by Alto Velo's Mark Rodamaker, our friend and world champion. Each supervisor is different. Mark runs the clinic more like an open track session. We did a 30 lap warm-up, followed by 4 - 100 meter jumps, 6-lap team time trial drills (2), and open track. Mark McC. was there, but not Pam. Our TTT was comprised of RFA, Mark McC, James Plummer (35 year old Cat 3 road racer), and me. It was a good effort. After the drills, Mark offered some bike fitting advice so that I am not so low. We turned the stem which brought me up a few millimeters. Funny, I don't mind being low - it almost feels natural, but I understand that the pursuit position is different from the scratch/points race position. I named my Cervelo P3C track bike - her name is Red Rose - Rose for short. The reason? - the color, my mother, and like the roses for the Kenticky Derby winner, she is a winning bike!

No comments: