Monday, January 2, 2012

San Bruno Hill Climb - Jan. 1, 2012

Happy New Year to all! I don't make New Year's resolutions - only set goals. It is time to revisit my blog and keep it up to date! Let's start with the New Year's Day San Bruno Hill Climb! San Bruno Hill Climb has become a New Year’s Day tradition for me – this marked my 5th in a row. Rich and I were in SoCal during the holiday week and drove back on New Years’ Eve – certainly an unfavorable race workout - c'est la vie. We had a great week on cycling including two track sessions at Home Depot Center LA Velodrome and some hill climbing on the road. It was a beautiful dry sunny morning and it felt really good to warm up on the road instead of the trainer. The temps were perfect at 10 AM for a hill climb!

I raced with the W 3/4s (no age categories for the women!) with a field of 31 riders. Some fast women – the #1 and #2 finishers were Cat 4 women who had faster times (18:56 and 18:57) than the #1 woman in the Pro/1/2 category! I learned from past experience at this hill climb to race my own race, i.e., don’t go out super hard during the first few minutes simply to stay with the leaders who are killing it. There was a pretty fierce head wind on Radio Road which made it painful. I passed Cybil S. from Early Bird Dev. with about 500 meters to go but then she hammered it and finished 7 seconds ahead of me. Overall, I am pleased with my results – set a PR with my time and a PR 20 minute power number. Placed 5/31 with an official time of 21:19 (Garmin 21:09). Rich raced with the young M Cat 4/5 45+ group since the 55+ was full - solid performance of 23:35 (30/35).

It was a great way to start the New Year – and to test our Cervello R5 Christmas presents.

No comments: