Monday, October 12, 2009

Old La Honda Low Key Hill Climb, October 10, 2009





It is time for the low key hill climb (LKHC) series! On Saturday, Rich and I raced in the Old La Honda (OLH) LKHC. Those of you who live on the SF Peninsula know that OLH is the benchmark for climbers. Beautiful, winding climb up to Skyline through the redwoods - 3.35 miles, 1290 ft climbing and average 7.3% grade (although some of the switchbacks are 20%). It was a beautiful morning that turned sunny for the 10:10 AM start. Rich and I warmed up on our trainers (low key??). We went off in waves of 15 racers from the Windy Hill parking lot to the bottom of OLH. Each wave went off in 2 minutes intervals. We had 164 participants! Great turn out and great organization & volunteers. Since this is off-season, Rich and I raced with the special LKHC team of Sisters (and Misters) of No Mercy, rather than Webcor. I had a goal of 23:00, given that my previous best time was around 23:30, and Rich and I have been focusing on VO2max intervals the last few months, as well as some climbing. Our wave went off fast (too fast) and I passed many of them along the course. I was working hard but steady, keeping my power at solid threshold. I hit the finish line at 22:14 and was thrilled! A real personal best! It was especially meaningful to me in light of my major setback due to my serious crash on my track bike in May, and my focus on recovery. Rich also had a personal best at 24:44. I finished 3rd out of 16 of the women's division - and our team Sisters (and Misters) of No Mercy is now in first place in the teams. Next weekend it is Tunitas Creek!

No comments: