Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Wente Road Race - Sat. April 25, 2009

Photo: MEA coming up on the inside in Webcor green
W Cat4
Place: 19
Field: 47
I was really looking forward to this race and had high expectations - expectations that unfortunately that were not realized. It was a learning experience in race strategy. I raced in the W4 category which had a field of 47. The temperature was perfect - mid 60's - but the wind was wicked - but after all, this is windmill country! I stayed with the lead group through the tough first climb. After we turned into the wind before the big descent, it was like a brick wall, and I was on the wrong wheel. I fell back and was unable to regain that ground - the peloton was just out reach - so close. I gained some ground but it was not enough. Then I saw them ride off into the distance. I hit 54 mph on the downhill with the strong tailwind. I then rode for awhile with a group of 3 other women but they were too slow for my liking. I sprinted out, now trying to catch the second lead group which splintered off. I slowed a bit on the second climb in the feed zone, looking for RFA who had my Smart Water. I regrouped with the same women I left behind earlier. A peloton of male racers passed on the down hill and I pulled over to the far right. Low and behold my training mate from 5RCC passes me on the tail of the male peloton. Fair?? I ended up placing 19th - losing two positions on the final 200 meter sprint. Coach Dnitrij - "what happened??" I lost sleep asking myself the same question, reanlayzing the race. Get on the wrong wheel of someone falling back and it is all over before you know it. Live and learn.

No comments: