Monday, August 18, 2008

Day at the Track - Hellyer Velodrome - August 16, 2008

On Saturday, August 16, 2008, RFA and I participated in the Beat the Clock “Day at the Track” event at the Hellyer Velodrome in San Jose, CA for an afternoon of time trial events. Most of the money goes to the Lance Armstrong Foundation. The organizers received special permission to use both road and track bikes on the track. We went to the Velodrome to watch some races and thought it would be fun to try. This was a special opportunity to check it out on our TT bikes. There were different categories for the track bikes and the road bikes, so the track bikes were not on the track at the same time as the road bikes. I didn’t know quite what to expect, it was a blast and more fun than I ever expected. But it turned out to be a very long day.
RFA and I arrived at the Velodrome just before noon. We wanted to have enough time to set up our canopy that we borrowed from the LBS. Our friend Kevin met us there and helped us set up “camp” in the infield. It took several trips back and forth to the car to haul the bikes, trainers, coolers, etc. Soon the whole infield was full of equipment, canopies and a lot of our fellow team mates in Webcor green. The temperature was warm with a nice breeze but the sun was hot. The canopy saved us because it would have been unbearable to warm up on the trainers in the direct sun.
The organizers opened the track first to the track bikes and then to the road bikes for warm-up. I thought riding on the banked track would be challenging, but we all got used to it pretty quickly. There is also a small loop in the infield area for riding but this was used basically just to keep the legs spinning, not for serious warm-up.
Finally the events started:
Events:
500m (1.5 laps)
kilo (3 laps)
2k (6 laps)
Team 4k (12 laps) 4-person teams; you can choose your team the day of the event.
3k (9 laps)
4k (12 laps)
The 500 m was run as a time trial (one rider at a time). The remaining individual events were run as individual pursuits with two riders will be on the track at the same time, starting on opposite sides of the track. There were timers, holders, lap cards, and bell ringers – the “real deal.” For each event, the men track went off first, followed by the women track, men road and women road. There were about 47 participants and you sign up for multiple events. RFA signed up for the 2k and the 3k and I signed up for the 2k, 3k and 4k.
Sitting in the lawn chairs under the canopy with a picnic cooler gave it an element of a day at the beach. All that was missing was the dog, the frisbee, the beer and the sand. It was after five o’clock before I got to do my first event – that was the biggest challenge – trying to stay warmed up so the engine would be ready to fire when the whistle blew. RFA looked good in his races and finished in the middle of the men road racers. I had a good start but had some trouble staying between the black and red line at times. Any time I glanced down to check my speed and cadence I would drift up and lose some time. I quickly recognized at that speed, you just need to look ahead. The turns were coming before you knew it. Before I knew it, it was over – I knew I beat my pursuit competitor because I was closing in on her at the end. I ended up with a 3:06 – not bad for the first time and good enough to come in first place in the women’s road category. Now I was energized. There were only two women who did the 3K individual pursuit and I lapped my competitor on the 8th lap. That was sweet. I did one cool down lap on the apron and it was time for the 3K! At least I was warmed up! Initially I was the only woman (track or road) for the 3K, but I talked my competitor into joining me. The 12 laps felt more like a time trial because you had to pace yourself for the distance. I still felt great, lapping my competitor on the 9th lap. My average heart rate was about 160 for the 2K and the 3K and about 152 for the 4K. What a great work-out! I am hooked. Rich and I are going to the Saturday morning beginner training session at the Velodrome. I can see it now – the stable of bikes is growing.

No comments: