Sunday, February 21, 2010

San Bruno Mountain Hill Climb - Jan. 1, 2010








Arrived 2 hrs before the 10 AM start and got in a good 45 min. w/u on the trainer. I felt ready for this race. My strategy was to stay on the wheel of the fast Elite W4 woman. That proved to be detrimental to me because I was in z5-z6 (VO2 max – anaerobic) for the first 6 minutes of the race. At that point, I knew I could not maintain that power and dropped off. I went out too slowly on the flatter section at the right turns on Radio Rd. for recovery. I was able to get back to high Z4 and Z5 on Radio Rd. but it was too late. I was extremely disappointed in my results (slower than last year, slower than my training – even slower than my OLH time). I would have been better off (i.e, faster) in this race to race at my own strong steady pace. Finished 10/18. We were lucky that the weather cooperated since there had been race in the forecast. Rich looked good and improved his time from last year. Good to see friends at the race and a great way to start the New Year.

No comments: