Sunday, February 1, 2009

Deer Valley Ski Trip - Feb. 1, 2009







Today we were on the lifts before 9 AM. We expected a moderate crowd for Sunday, but it appears that the crowds we observed yesterday were associated with the World Cup. No lift lines and RFA and I had some slopes to ourselves. It was very chilly 18 degrees when we started and my hands (thumbs) were cold - had to warm them up with the hand warmers on the chair lift. Very thankful for my boot warmers! They are worth every penny. After warming up on Nabob and Keno, we headed over to the harder terrain of Tycoon and Stein's Way (part black diamond). We did a run on Wizard which was great. Then made our way across the mountain for a cappuchino break at Empire Lodge. After our break, we had a great run down Supreme, the back up to Orion (double blue). A youngster made an unexpected turn in front of me and I tripped up on a turn to avoid him and fell. You know that slow motion feeling when you fall - and I was heading right for the of bounds fence on my right. All I can say is that it is a good thing those fences are made out of elastic plastic. My right leg was elevated and caught in one of the slots of the fence. My right ski was half way on the other side of the fence. My ski goggles and cap were over the fence about 30 feet down the hill. I took inventory and no real damage done. I crawled through the fence to fetch my belongings and sunk in the snow. I could feel a pull in my right gluteus. RFA was waiting at the bottom of that section wondering (and worried) what happened to me. We took a short lunch break and skied until 1 PM. All in all, I deemed the day a success. It warmed up to the low 30’s. Put some Cryogel on my glute and ready to hit the slopes tomorrow.

No comments: